Had a few minutes while my photos were downloading from my computer so I thought I'd come post.
We've had a great weekend overall. Yesterday was so nice outside and we spent about 4 hours getting our garage cleaned up. It was SO bad and we couldn't park a car in it let alone walk through it b/c of all the boxes and junk. It has been hard to go from a house that had a lot of storage space to a house with very little storage space. We don't have a usable attic so things like our Christmas decorations, Eric's sports memorabilia, etc. don't have a home like they used to. Later that night we got together with Eric's cousin Jeff, his wife Rachel and their daughter Madelyn. The kids had a BLAST playing together. I'm so glad that we live near one family member at least.
Today was church and it was pretty good. We are really enjoying this church and really like the pastor. Pastor Hood has such a great vision for this church and the focus for the church is right on. I really appreciated hearing him say that he thinks that church should be a place where Christians come to get their marching orders. You come, get refreshed, get discipled and then you GO OUT. You go out to your family, friends, neighbors, community, and world and share Jesus with them. It's not optional, it's something that God requires of us. AMEN.
During Sunday School someone (not sure who exactly she was) came in and asked for volunteers to work in the nursery as they were having some staffing issues. I'd like to be able to say that I immediately raised my hand and wanted to go. Truthfully, I didn't but Eric insisted so we went. Am I glad? Of course, I am glad that we were able to fill a need. I did have to pause and think about my reaction. I am not normally the one to hold back when someone needs volunteers, I am the type of person that likes to be involved and sometimes has a hard time not getting TOO involved. I don't normally say no so why was I so hesitant? After some thought, I know why.
I am a bit gun-shy when it comes to volunteering, especially in a nursery/preschool ministry. I was very active in our previous church's nursery & preschool "ministry." I use that world loosely because, honestly, it didn't always seem like it was treated as a ministry rather a babysitting service, and an understaffed one at that. As a volunteer I felt very unappreciated, ill-prepared, and over-used. It was to the point where I wanted to leave the church and certainly didn't want to utilize or participate in the children's ministry. This kills me to say because I did love that church. Eric and I got married in that church, our kids were dedicated in that church, and it has played a huge role in our lives. The pastor there is a very dedicated Christian and good man of God. At any rate, I don't think I truly realized how it impacted me until I was asked to serve today.
Can I just be honest and say that it has been so nice to NOT be volunteering for once? Am I a horrible Christian for saying that? It has just been nice to be able to drop my kids off and not feel like I was required to be helping there. I have especially enjoyed going on Wednesday night and just being able to participate in the services without any responsibility other than to listen and apply what God is teaching me. I think I've NEEDED this time to "heal" I guess from the toll that I feel was payed at my previous church.
So, all this to say. While I am not one to sit on the sidelines for long, I am enjoying this time of just learning and being a part of something that I am not leading. I am enjoying not working in children's ministry at the church - I have a ministry with children and their names are Morgan, Drew & Owen.
If I felt that God was calling me to step up and be involved would I? Most certainly. Truthfully, I don't think I'll be sitting on the sidelines for long. Do I think I'll be working in the preschool ministry at this new church? No, not really. While I love kids and think that it is of utmost importance to train & disciple them, I do not feel that I am gifted or called to work regularly in this area at this time. I would be doing the Lord, them and myself a big disservice if I worked in that area. Note: If a lady with a crying kid came into our class again and asked for volunteers I would go and do so happily, I just can't see myself doing it on a regular, routine basis.
I've given some thought to where I could serve. I'm not completely aware of all the areas that this new church has so I'm sure there is something I am missing or that may already be in place that I can participate in. Some thoughts are:
1. Ministry to moms. As a new stay-at-home-mom I definitely see a need in my life to be in fellowship and learning from other moms in a similar station. I would LOVE to see this church do a MOPS program or even just have a Bible study for moms that also provides childcare.
2. Missions program. They have just hired a new staff person who is focusing on missions/global impact type of things. I have thought about approaching them about VOM (Voice of the Martyrs - former employer and great ministry) or about Life of Hope and seeing if we can work together to bring those opportunities to the church members.
3. Prison ministry. Truthfully, I'm not sure exactly what the church does in this area. I know that I've heard it mentioned several times on Wed. night but I still don't know if it's an actual church ministry or just something that the lady sharing does and many are involved in. I was VERY active in this in college, even leading this particular campus ministry for a year and would love to get involved again.
I'm sure there are other places to serve but these are a few that come to mind.
At any rate, these are the thoughts that have been rolling around in my head so I thought I'd type them out.
G'night!
Sunday, January 14, 2007
Still a bit gun-shy
Posted by Andie at 8:27 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Hey! We missed you today at the Discovery Center. It was packed out, but fun! I would love to talk to you about some of the ministry opportunities you mentioned. I feel like I have gotten to know you more through your blog than actually talking to you. It is always difficult on Sunday mornings and equally as difficult with kids! Oh, and I loved the Mommy Code post--she is right on! Hope to see you this afternoon at 20/20/20!!
I'll be at 20/20/20 - no laughing at me:)
I'd love to talk to you about the ministry opportunities at the church as well. I'm not sure what is available there and I'm excited to find out.
And, I agree, I feel I've gotten to know you better via your blog than in actual conversations. Maybe we can get together sometime, let the kids play and chat.
Andie
Post a Comment