Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Father, Son & ....

...Holy Spirit.

I just got done reading chapter 6 in the Stormie Omartian book, "The Prayer That Changes Everything: The Hidden Power of Praising God", titled "Because He Has Given Me His Holy Spirit." This was an interesting chapter and it has me thinking, really thinking, about the Holy Spirit - not something I think about often, I have to admit.

God - three in one, one in three. Father, Son & Holy Spirit. I find it easier to think about God the Father and God the Son but I spend far less time thinking about the God the Holy Spirit. Unfortunate because He plays such a big role in the life of a believer. I think it's just easier for me to relate to the concept of a Father or of a Son. I have an earthly father and I am a mother to a son. Both are concepts that I can relate to easier I guess.

I also have to admit that I had some experiences in my first few years as a believer that made me very cautious in regards to things of the "Holy Spirit." What do I mean by that? I mean, experiences of MAN and their take on the role of the Holy Spirit. Let me give you some examples.

I was a senior in high school living in Colorado Springs, CO when I became a Christian. Soon after that I attended a church called New Life Church. You know the one that was in the news recently because of it's pastor and allegations of homosexuality - that church. It was much smaller then (about 2,000-4,000 people - not a small church) and had a very vibrant, active youth ministry. I decided to go and liked it, until the end. At the end they asked for those who hadn't been "baptized in the Holy Spirit" to raise their hands. Being a new Christian and not knowing what the heck they were talking about, I raised my hand. I was led, along with other people who raised their hands, into a back room and had a prayer counselor assigned to me. She started praying & "speaking in tongues" and kept telling me to "clear my mind and let whatever came out of my mouth come out." Ummmm - okay. WHAT THE HECK????? It became apparent that she wasn't going to let me leave until I spoke "in tongues" so I mumbled something, she "praised God" and I got up and left.

Another example what when I was in college at John Brown University and got involved in prison ministry. The person that led that particular ministry at that time had us going with a ministry called Mike Barber Ministries. Let me just say that they are very "charismatic" in their beliefs and many of the people I met while attending different prison meetings cared more for people receiving the "gifts of the Spirit" through evidence of speaking in tongues than they did of them receiving the most important gift of salvation. The spefics of why I say that are too long to go into here but suffice it to say that it wasn't a good experience.

Both of those experiences though made me seriously question what I thought in regards to the gifts of the Spirit. I know what I believe, I know why I believe it. I firmly believe that there are many churches out there today that are much like the Corinthian church, seeking the gifts in leui of the gift giver.

I say all this to say, I've always had a hard time relating to the work of the Holy Spirit and it's role because I am always conscious of the past experience I had. Reading this chapter is making stop and really think about it further.

In chapter 6, Stormie lists "Twenty Good Reasons to Praise God for His Holy Spirit". Check out all that the Holy Spirit does in the life of a Christ-follower, it's pretty amazing:

1. The Holy Spirit comforts us. (John 14:26, Acts 9:31)
2. The Holy Spirit convicts us of wrongdoing (note - convicts, not condemns) (John 16:8)
3. The Holy Spirit enables us to obey God. (Romans 7:6)
4. The Holy Spirit guides us. (John 16:13)
5. The Holy Spirit teaches us. (John 14:26)
6. The Holy Spirit gives us power. (Romans 15:13)
7. The Holy Spirit gives us spiritual gifts (Hebrews 2:4)
8. The Holy Spirit sacrifices for us. (Romans 15:16)
9. The Holy Spirit helps us to pray. (Romans 8:26)
10. The Holy Spirit brings us to Jesus. (1 Corinthians 12:3)
11. The Holy Spirit makes us strong. (Ephesians 3:16)
12. The Holy Spirit raises us from the dead. (1 Peter 3:18)
13. The Holy Spirit works miracles. (Romans 15:19)
14. The Holy Spirit gives us words to say. (Like 12:12)
15. The Holy Spirit renews us. (Titus 3:5)
16. The Holy Spirit helps us when we are weak. (Romans 8:26)
17. The Holy Spirit gives us knowledge and understanding (Isaiah 11:2)
18. The Holy Spirit gives us revelation and wisdom (Ephesians 1:17)
19. The Holy Spirit reveals the things of God. (1 Corinthians 2:10)
20. The Holy Spirit assures us that we are God's children. (Romans 8:16)

(Pages 79-82)

Wow - didn't realize that the Holy Spirit does for those that follow Jesus. I have a hard time wrapping my brain around this one.

Jesus, help me to understand the powerful way that your Spirit works. Thank you for leaving us the gift of your Spirit to help us through the journey that is our Christian life here on earth.

EDITED to say: Don't misunderstand me. I do feel the Holy Spirit working in my life, leading, guiding, convicting, etc. I just don't often stop and think about those things as being done by the Holy Spirit. Does that make sense?

0 comments: