Friday, January 26, 2007

No new tricks

Looking back over the years that I've been a Christian, I can see that I always seem to fall short or struggle in the same areas, over & over again. It's a pattern, I start really working on my walk with the Lord and in pops one of the same old things again that distracts or discourages me. I wish I could say that I've been strong enough to overcome these issues in the past and move beyond them. I haven't and honestly, I'm not sure I ever will.

Whether you believe it or not, there is a spiritual struggle out there - good vs. evil, Satan vs. God. I'm not trying to be dramatic but it's a fact. God wants our hearts and an eternity with us in heaven and well, Satan doesn't. It's that simple. Where God is working Satan will be there trying to distract, discourage and make the believer feel weak and unable to continue on. And, often times, we as believers let him.

Why?

The Bible is very clear about the power that is in the name of Jesus.

Philippians 2:9-11 says the following:
9Therefore God exalted him to the highest place
and gave him the name that is above every name,
10that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
11and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord,
to the glory of God the Father.

As believers, we do not have to live defeated by the enemy. The Bible is also clear on who wins the war and I'll give you a clue, it's NOT Satan. Why then do we walk in defeat and discouragement so often?

So, I'm sure some that are reading are probably thinking that I've lost it now, that I'm talking crazy. Before I was a Christian, I would have thought that. Satan? God? What?? Why is it so easy to believe that one exists and the other doesn't?

Why am I going here tonight? Because it's what I'm thinking about. Satan never uses any new tricks with me. There are two main areas that I struggle with and that Satan uses repeatedly to discourage me in my Christian walk. It's nothing new, I know it's coming and yet, I still feel caught off guard when it happens. I have to admit, I am struggling tonight with one particular issue that haunts me at times. Don't let your imaginations get the better of you, it isn't any deep dark, sordid sin, just something that I struggle with repeatedly.

All I can do is pray.

Lord, please guard my heart and mind. Keep my thoughts on you and only you. Thank you that I have victory in you.

0 comments: