On Wednesday night in church we sang a song that I have sung many, many times. I don't think I ever truly stopped and thought about the words until that evening. The song is by Stuart Townsend and is titled "How Deep the Father's Love for Us", here are the words:
How Deep the Father's LoveRe-read those words and really think about them. For those of you with children, can you even begin to imagine loving another person so much that you give up your child's life for them? I cannot even begin to wrap my brain around that - give up MY CHILD, who I love more than anything for someone else? And worse, that person is a dirty sinner. MY CHILD for them? Unheard of yet that's exactly what God did when He sent His son Jesus to die for me and for you on the cross.
Stuart Townend
How deep the Father's love for us
How vast beyond all measure
That He would give His only Son
To make a wretch His treasure
How great the pain of searing loss
The Father turns His face away
As wounds which mar the chosen One
Bring many sons to glory
Behold the Man upon a cross
My guilt upon His shoulders
Ashamed, I hear my mocking voice
Call out among the scoffers
It was my sin that held Him there
Until it was accomplished
His dying breath has brought me life
I know that it is finished
I will not boast in anything
No gifts, no powr's, no wisdom
But I will boast in Jesus Christ
His death and resurrection
Why should I gain from His reward?
I cannot give an answer
But this I know with all my heart
His wounds have paid my ransom
I am acutely aware of how unworthy I am. Who am I ? Like the song says, why should I gain from his reward? I haven't done anything to deserve God's love and I'm certainly not perfect.
I often find myself waiting for the other shoe to drop. I mean, my life has been great. I have a fantastic husband and three beautiful children. We are all healthy and have a great place to live. We have all our needs met and some of our wants met as well. Life is great yet I keep expecting things to go bad. Why? Because I don't deserve all these good things. If I was honest with you & myself, I don't deserve anything but hell.
Yet God loved ME (and YOU) so much that He sent His only Son for us. For those that know Christ as your Saviour, doesn't that just "wow" you?
I love this quote from the book "The Prayer That Changes Everything" (p. 54):
"He (God) doesn't love us because we deserve it. He loves us because He is a God of love. That's who He is. He cannot be something that He isn't. And He loves you because you are His creation and He is your heavenly Father. There is no way He cannot love you."
I am reminded of 1 John 4:16: We have known and believed the love that God has for us. God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God in him.
Lord, thank you for the power of your love that you give to me when I don't deserve it. Thank you for a love that is beyond my human comprehension.
It's been interesting the emails I've gotten since I've started this blog and made it public. Many have commented that they think I'm brave for putting it all out there and sharing what I'm thinking/feeling/learning. Truthfully, I'm not putting it all out there and there is a TON of stuff that is far to personal to share in a public forum, my faith in Christ and what He is teaching me not included. I am excited to share what God is teaching me with you. I don't have it all together - far from it. I have spent so many years walking through a spiritual desert, knowing that God had/has so much more for me yet not knowing how to "get there." My faith in Christ is a HUGE part of who I am and I am excited about what I am learning right now - too excited to NOT share it. So, you'll see a mix of posts from me on this blog - some about what God is teachig me and some about the goings on in my little part of the world. Hope that's okay, :)

0 comments:
Post a Comment