So many thoughts going through my head tonight but I think I'm going to focus on one particular area. As I've mentioned before, I am doing a study with a Mom's group at World Outreach Center with the book "The Prayer That Changes Everything" by Stormie Omartian. If you haven't gotten this book, it's WONDERFUL and worth a read.
Today I read chapter 12: Because He Has a Purpose for My Life. I think this one stuck out to me because I'm always struggling with what my purpose is. I know that my ultimate purpose is to glorify God but I also know that God has work for me to do in addition to that while I'm here. Nothing is worse than feeling like you don't have a purpose in life - makes you feel like there is no point in anything at times.
Some things that stuck out to me in the book:
(p. 131) "Now I know that being a believer doesn't mean life is suddenly easy or simple, but it is made a lot easier and simpler because of the presence of the Lord. That's because no matter what you go through, you don't ever have to go through it alone. You always walk with Him and He carries the burden. The issues aren't confusing because He brings clarity. You don't have to wonder what's right and good because He reveals them to you. Your life has purpose and value simply because you are His." (emphasis mine)
My life has purpose because I am His child - it's that simple. What we do or are dong does not define what our purpose is, it's all about WHO you belong to. Our main purpose here on earth is to glorify and love the Lord.
"Another one of our main purposes is to extend the life of the Lord to others in a way that draws people to Him" (p. 132).
"Don't worry if you have doubts about whether you can accomplish what God has called you to do. I would be worried if you didn't. God always calls us to something greater than ourselves - something bigger than we can accomplish on our own. If you think you can handle all God has for you to do on your own, then you are thinking too small. Everytime you feel you are unable to do what God has called you to do, when you feel as though you don't have what it takes to move into the life God has for you, worship is the way to respond. You don't have to make your life happen; you just have to worship God and let Him make it happen" (p. 134). (emphasis mine)
I can't expand much on that as Stormie says it so eloquently. I think I am often guilty of thinking too small, afraid of failing or I feel too tired to think big as it might require more of me than I think I can give. Isn't that right where I need to be? In my weakness HE wants to be my strength.
"Every time you are weary of the race, stop where you are and worship God. Get your mind off of yourself and onto Him. Don't try to be good; turn to Him who is good. Don't try to be perfect, turn to Him who is perfect. And because He loves you, He will lead you into the purpose for which you were born. Satan will always try to stop the purpose of God from being realized in your life. When that happens, draw even closer to God. He will instruct your heart and strengthen you as you grow closer and closer to Him in worship" (pp. 136-137).
Lord, thank you that you have a purpose for my life and that you are more than capable of helping me accomplish it.
Tuesday, February 06, 2007
Praise God because He has a purpose for my life
Posted by Andie at 10:44 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment