Friday, February 02, 2007

Are you fatiguing your faith muscle?

This week in my Wed. morning book study our leader,Amanda, shared something that I've been thinking a lot about and I thought I'd share it here.

Amanda was talking about how as a personal trainer she was always trying to get her clients to see that it wasn't enough to do the amount of reps & weight that you knew you could do easily but that you had to push yourself. The goal was to use your muscle until it was fatigued so that it could break down and rebuild stronger. I'm not a personal trainer so I'll just take her word for it on that one.

We can think of our faith in Christ as a muscle. If we want to grow in our faith we need to exercise it, not just by doing what we are comfortable but by pushing ourselves, fatiguing our faith, if you will.

What do I mean by that?

One young lady shared that a year ago she would not have thought to attend a small group study like this one and that it was a big, uncomfortable step to start coming. Now it was easy & comfortable to come. She stepped out, fatigued her faith muscle and got stronger. Now she needs to look for new ways to strengthen her faith in Christ.

I am horrible about having a consistent quiet time. I read the Bible, pray & study but it's not consistent. For me, I think I need to exercise my faith muscle by getting up early every morning and spending time with God. I have to admit, I wanted to start this morning and I failed. Two kids in my bed at 4:30 am didn't make me want to get up at 5 am. Still, I know that I need to persevere, to get my tired tail out of bed and be excited about what God will teach me and how He'll use it to strengthen my walk with Him.

What do you need to do to step out of your faith comfort zone?

0 comments: