Saturday, February 24, 2007

Okay - Okay, I'm starting to get it.

I was kicking around the internet before going downstairs to watch a movie with Eric and I stopped at our pastor at First Baptist Church's blog (yes, for those not from this area blogging is a "thing" here LOL). Anyway, I was really convicted by it (Click here for Pat Hood's blog - look for Feb. 24, 2007 - They Get It")

He was talking about a couple that were looking for a new house and what they wanted in it. They weren't looking for the things that we typically look for (size, storage, etc) but instead were looking for a place that they could hold a small group in.

"Their number one requirement for their new home is that it be a good Small Group home. It has to be designed so that 8-12 adults and their kids can hang out and do Bible study and life together. It has to be in a neighborhood ripe for REAL community so they can invest in and influence their neighbors for the Kingdom. THEY GET IT! "

He went on to say the following:

"When God chose them to be His children, He chose them to be His missionaries. He didn't call them to just follow Him on Sunday; He called them to follow Him everyday. Christianity isn't a part of their lives; it IS their life. They don't get up on Monday and just go to a job; they get up and go to a mission. Their neighborhood isn't just a place they've chosen to live; it's the place God ordained for them to represent Him. Their stuff isn't just their stuff to be used for their happiness and enjoyment; it's God's stuff entrusted to them to be used for His glory and to expand His kingdom. They've realized that when God chose them to be His children, He chose them to be His missionaries on the job where they work, the neighborhood where the live, the fields where their kids pay ball, etc. THEY GET IT!!! Do you? "

I've been brewing about the neighbors that live next to us for a while. I've called the homeowner's association on them SO many times - it's like living next to a frat house. They have a TON of people that either live there or just stay there. They park crazy, they throw their trash in their unfenced back yard and it blows all over the place (usually in MY yard), they have two trash cars parked next to their house - all against homeowner's association policy. It bugs me because I didn't pay all this money to live next to a trashy house.

That said, we've talked to them a couple of times - okay - my dad talked to them when he came and visited and found out some about them. Their dad died and left them some money so they bought a house to all live together. Many there are trying to turn their lives around and want better things for themselves, despite the evidence often time to the contrary (drinking, smoking pot, parties, etc.). At any rate, they are nice people. They say they are buddhist but I don't believe they are practicing, rather it's cultural (they are Laotian).

I don't view them as my mission field, I view them as the thorn in my side and that is SO wrong. I KNOW that this house and this neighborhood was what God had for us - He made it so completely clear. It's how we found our new church home and ended up making some of the friends we currently have. Perhaps it's our home for more than just that. As Pat said our neighborhood isn't just a place we've chosen to live; it's the place God ordained for us to represent Him.

I think I need to pray that God shows me how to best represent Him and that He helps me see them through His eyes.

Thank you Lord for the correction I obviously needed. Help me to have a great attitude about this neighborhood and give me opportunities to share your love with my neighbors.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Andie, that is a wonderful way at looking at your situation there. I know with your good nature you can reach your neighbors.