Thursday, January 24, 2008

Picketing Heath Ledgers funeral

According to Foxnews:


A radical Baptist church in Kansas known for picketing the funerals of
soldiers who perished in Iraq said it intends to protest Heath Ledger's memorial
service with signs claiming the actor died and is in Hell because he played a
gay character in “Brokeback Mountain.”


Stuff like this gets me upset. Gotta love how "effectively" this particular church is sharing the love of Christ (yes, add lots of sarcasm).

As a Christ-follower, I am appalled at this.

Yes, God does hate sin - ALL sin. No we shouldn't pretty it up and avoid the subject but do you really think that God wants us going to a memorial service shouting that someone is burning in hell because of their particular sin?

I wish I could find the link to a sermon that our pastor did on this very subject because I'd post it. Maybe I'll go back and find it.

Either way, stuff like this makes me mad because that is what a lost world will see about my Jesus. Maybe the person without any sin should be the first one to pick up one of the picket signs.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you on this. That church does NOT speak for me. My first thought at hearing the news of his death was sadness, wondering about his spiritual condition. Not ours to judge. That's a good one, "let the person without sin be the first to picket". Love the new look of the blog. Ruth

Marc, Jaimee, Ben and Liam said...

That is aweful! Hate the sin, not the sinner... what are these people thinking. Talk about a plank in the eye!