Monday, January 07, 2008

Comfortable beds? Do they exist?

I seriously do NOT like our bed. Several years ago, prior to Andrew being born, we bought a Sleep Number bed. My parents had one and loved it and the idea of being able to adjust the firmness made sense as a good thing.

Well, I hate it. I've been hating it for a long time but I'm now getting to the point where I loathe it, where I dread going to sleep because I know I will toss & turn and my back will HURT when I wake up.

I've adjusted it. I've put more air in, I've taken air out. The outcome is still the same. I get a crappy night's sleep and my back is KILLING me. It's what triggered my back problems around Thanksgiving and that STUNK.

If I could talk Eric into it, we'd chuck this mattress and get a new one. I hate it that much.

The problem is, how do you really find a good mattress? Seriously? It's not like you can go into a mattress store and stay overnight and just laying down on a mattress for 5 minutes in the store doesn't really tell you anything. They need to have a mattress hotel - you go stay overnight and sleep on the bed that you're thinking of buying to see how it really feels after sleeping on it all night. Wouldn't that be good???

There is actually one mattress that is used in hotels that they sell and so I guess you can go stay overnight in that hotel to try it out. Can't remember which one it is though.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go to overstock.com and get a memory foam mattress pad topper. I just got a 2 inch one and it's really helping. Lots cheaper than a new mattress. Of course, Eric would have to agree.! Take care!

Ruth

Jeanne said...

I was going to suggest memory foam, too. I've looked at the ones on overstock and you can find one for a great deal.

My in-laws have one of the regular Tempur-pedic memory foam mattresses. It is a GOOD chunk of change and one that we definitely can't afford, but if you might be interested, they do offer a 30-day trial period with no obligation. My mother-in-law will never go back to a regular mattress...it's made a huge difference for her.

Alison B. said...

lol
i think the mattress you can try in hotels is the sleep number. i tried it out on one of my last business trips. i found it odd.

Marc, Jaimee, Ben and Liam said...

Back pain is the worse! I agree with the tempur-pedic gang... my sister has one that rocks. Although I hear some people don't like those too. Marc and I just got lucky with a great little pillow top we found at a local mattress store.

Anonymous said...

Amen sister...i hate our current mattress too! Let me know what you come up with!
~K~

Anonymous said...

I'll have to investigate the memory foam thing. Somethings gotta give here and so far it's my back. Thanks for the suggestions!!