I ended up having to take Drew to the ER last night about 9 pm. He was fine all day long, you wouldn't have even known he had been up all night puking by the way he was acting. About 5 pm he started to run a temp again. I gave him some tylenol about 6 pm and it didn't help. His temp just kept going up and then he started complaining that his right side hurt. I had visions of appedicitis running through my head so it was off to the ER we went. Thankfully my mom was still here so she was able to stay home with the other two kids as Eric was still out-of-town (flying back in late last night).
We got to the ER and Drew's temp was 104.2!!!!!! They gave him some Motrin and then later some tylenol to help bring it down. Took a long while but it did start coming down. The dr. told me that he wanted to do some blood work and get a catscan done to rule out the appendix. Ughhh... I understand that it was better to test him and make sure but I was't too thrilled with the idea of an IV - with good reason too.
The nurses came in to do the IV and by that time Drew was asking to go home as he felt better. This was about 11 pm. Eric wasn't there yet but on his way. OH MY GOSH. I about knocked those nurses out. Seriously. It took 3 tries in 3 locations to get that darn thing in!!! The first time was in him right arm. The poor kid, I was holding him as were 2 nurses and he was screaming, saying it hurt and begging them to take it out. The nurse sat there and DUG around in his arm for what seemed like forever before blowing that vein. Another nurse came in and they tried his right hand. Ughh. By this time I was in tears for Drew. It sucked seeing my child in pain like that!!!! Thankfully Eric came in about the time they were going to start try 3 in his left arm. I had to leave and they FINALLY got the IV in this arm!!!
Then they brought in this huge glass of "lemonade" drink that he needed to drink BEFORE the 2 hour wait to get the CT scan started. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? It was about 11:30 and he was already EXHAUSTED from everything else this evening. We got about 1/2 down him before he puked it all up. Got a little more down him & he puked that up to. Thankfully the radiology tech decided to go ahead and do the scan and counted 2 hours from the time we started getting him to drink this junk.
Took him back to the scan about 1 am. Another trauma! Holding that kid still on his back was a challenge. Eric help his hands and I held his feet. Got that done and went back to the room to wait. Drew fell back asleep and all was good.
Dr. came in about 2:30 and told us that Drew was really "backed up" (stool wise) and then asked us if he'd been coughing a lot. He has been coughing but I would not have termed it as a lot. Turns out the kid has pnemonia in his left lung! They tried to give him a dose of antibiotics but the combination of the drink & the contrast they put in the IV caused him to puke it up. So, a prescription for antibiotics later and a suggestion for suppositories and we were home. I am relieved that it wasn't anything more - my mind tends to go to all the worst case scenarios.
Poor Eric though - we got home about 3 am and he had to leave to take my mom to the airport and go to work at 6:30 am. I'm tired but I can kick it around the house, minus the prescription run, so it's not that bad. I hope that Owen & Morgan take it easy on me though - I am BEAT!
So, that's our story!
Monday, March 05, 2007
Well, that was traumatic
Posted by Andie at 6:37 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
So sorry to hear your ordeal. ER visits are no fun anytime, but especially with little ones. Please let me know if I can help in the next day or two--in any way, seriously!!
Oh my goodness! I hope your little guy is feeling better.
Post a Comment