Did you hear that sound?
It was my nice, comfortable Christian "bubble" bursting.
It's a good thing - really!
Before moving here I would say that I was living in my nice, comfortable, "Christian" world. I worked at a Christian ministry, was active in my church, had Christian friends, and my immediate neighbors were also Christians. Nice & comfy cozy.
Too comfy & too cozy and far too easy to be complacent in my faith. I had become what I detested when I first became a Christian - a complacent Christian, content to live life in my "Christian" world without much regard for those that were lost around me.
I read this the other day:
150,000 people die every 24 hours—most without the Savior. We are deeply concerned that so few Christians reach out to the lost. Statistics show that this is as low as 5%
The Great Commission (Matthew 28:16-20)
16Then the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go. 17When they saw him, they worshiped him; but some doubted. 18Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in[a] the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."As a believer, God expects us to go into the world and teach people who He is and show them just how much He loves them. It's not optional for any believer. You may not be gifted in the area of evangelism but that doesn't mean you get a pass on the expectation. If you have a mouth and can talk, you can "evangelize".
Build a relationship with someone who doesn't know Christ. You don't have to hit them over the head with the gospel, I'm sure they'd prefer it if you didn't. Get to know them and show them Christ in any way you can. At the very least (and very most) - pray for them. GOD ANSWERS PRAYERS.
I'm thankful for where I am right now. I have such a great opportunity to share the love of Christ, specifically in my neighborhood. While I definitely have a passion to start a ministry to moms, that's not going to happen right now so I need to focus on what I can do right now. I can get to know my neighbors. I can show them the love of Christ through my actions and eventually, hopefully, I'll get the chance to share directly about what Jesus did for me and for them.
My little Christian bubble is no more and I'm thankful for it.
How are you being intentional on reaching out to those that don't know Christ?

1 comments:
Andie, a good book to read is a.k.a "Lost" Discovering ways to connect with the people Jesus misses most by Jim Henderson.
Carolyn
Post a Comment