Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Momma Bear

As a mom I can be a bit like a momma bear protecting her cubs when it comes to my children, I don't like people messing with my kids. I'm particularly sensitive to Morgan being in Kindergarten and people treating her unkind because she is such a sweet spirited girl and very sensitive. While I am a biased mom, I know that Morgan isn't a person who is mean to anyone intentionally and she doesn't understand when others are unkind to her.

Well, there is one girl in Morgan's class who just isn't nice, I could see that from the first time I saw her. I've never seen her be mean to Morgan specifically, but I could just tell from how she acted that she was a bit of a spoiled kid (yes, I typed the "other" word but deleted it).

Tonight Morgan was talking about how this little girl was mean to her all the time and mentioned some of the things she says and it just ticked me off. My first response wasn't very kind and thankfully Morgan didn't hear that. I help in Morgan's class on Thursdays and honestly, I want to dish it back to this girl. Immature, I know as I'm 33, she's 6. I can't help feeling that way though, she's hurting my baby.

I absolutely HATED elementary school. I was teased mercilessly and it really affected how I viewed myself for a long time afterwards, I'd argue that it still does at times. My self-esteem was shot to pieces and I thought of myself as less than I was, putting myself down all the time. This is such a crucial age for the continued development of self-esteem and I don't want Morgan to struggle in that area like I have. That's why this bothers me so much.

So, how do we equip her to handle this?

Tonight we talked about how God made EVERYONE special, even this little girl and that maybe this person didn't know that. We talked about how no matter what someone may say about you, you do not respond in kind, you turn the other cheek. We told Morgan that she is a special little girl, created by God and dearly loved by her family and friends. Finally, we prayed for this little girl, that she would come to learn that every person is special to God and created for His purpose and that she shouldn't treat people as anything less. We also prayed that God would help Morgan know how to respond to those that aren't kind to her.

In the meantime, I'll try to keep the mama bear instinct in check LOL!

4 comments:

Jeanne said...

Andie,
I've had the exact kind of things happen to my little guys. And you handled it just the way I did.....both the momma bear instinct and the talk with your girl. Nothing gets us mommas going faster in the wrong direction than someone inflicting pain on our little ones.

And if it continues, you should probably bring it to the teacher/principal's attention. Bullying is taken very seriously in our school....in my experience anyway.

I think you did a great job. Keep praying....parenting is a tough job!

Kelly said...

What a tough situation. For a moment I thought this was going to be about the lunch room. I agree w/Jeanne I think you handled it well, and unfortunatley that little girl is most likely striving for attention in all the wrong ways. Morgan is very sweet, and I will pray that God will use her to "sweeten" up that little girl.

Marc, Jaimee, Ben and Liam said...

Amen sister! That 'lil pipsqueek better watch out or cousin Jaimee will bring the heat! Just kidding of course, but I have HUGE mama bear tendencies myself. I've been known to stare down a fiesty 3 yr old or two. I always try to kill them with kindness, but I'm not always thinking that :) What an amazing talk you had with her! Wish you were my mom!

Anonymous said...

Kelly - had to LOL at the lunch room comment. I was there, eating lunch with her today and "the" lunch lady was in rare form - got into it with a parent volunteer who called her on pulling a pin for no reason - principal even came out for that one. Gotta love it!

Thanks for the encouragement ladies. I appreciate it. I know we can't shield our kids from everything but sometimes I wish I could.