Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Outrageous Joy

And I am not talking about my children either. :)

I have to tell you, sometimes I get so frustrated with Christians, especially those of us in the United States. We have it all - the freedom to worship and share Christ without fear of persecution - and we tend to waste it bickering with each other over how we choose to go about doing that. Sometimes I think people enjoy being miserable and being the center of attention, regardless of whether it's negative attention. We get so caught up in our right to share our opinion that we forget that just because we have the right doesn't make it right. Taming of the tongue -- forget-about-it -- we let it all fly, screw the consequences.

We are so full of ourselves, aren't we?

I am always reminded of how petty and ridiculous the American church can be when I receive my monthly newsletter from The Voice of the Martyrs (VOM) or get an email update from Life of Hope Ministries.

There ARE people in the world that choose to follow Christ and by doing so they choose an actual, physical death. They are KILLED, literally, because they are a Christ-follower. Don't believe me? I dare you to subscribe to The Voice of the Martyrs FREE monthly newsletter and see for yourself. Your walk as a Christian here in the United States WILL be challenged when you read the stories of those persecuted for their faith in Christ.

I read one such story that I wanted to share with you. It was one of those stories that has helped me today keep things in perspective.

In this month's newsletter there was an article from one of the high school students who went to Vietnam with VOM earlier in the year. A reality show detailing these adventures called "Underground Reality: Vietnam" was taped while there and is available here.

At one point the students traveled 13 hours to the Central Highlands of Vietnam to visit a tribal church and deliver 500 Bibles. The students didn't know what to expect as they knew that by just being there they brought additional danger to the local underground churches. This students words:

"I was expecting to see a church trying its most to hide and conceal itself. Nothing could have prepared us for what we were about to experience. The small, dilapidated, wooden shed held hundreds of people, jammed in together. These believers were not just singing, they were praising God from deep within their hearts. Passion filled the air and we were overcome by their outrageous joy. As a young Christian from a contemporary evangelical church, I was overwhelmed by the atmosphere that filled the room. God was real to these people, like I had never known. They did not hold anything back, but rather surrendered everything to come before God's throne in praise and thanksgiving. I could do nothing but join in singing with my Vietnamese brothers & sisters, "Hallelu-Hallelujah, Amen! Hallelu-Hallelujah, Amen!"

The next time we're in church perhaps we can worship God with outrageous joy, with passion and without holding anything back as opposed to sitting around looking for ways to disagree with each other and argue.

Make JESUS famous people - that's what it's about.

It's not about us, it's about HIM.

1 comments:

Jeanne said...

Andie,
I just wanted you to know that this is a great post. I, too, read VOM and saw this article. We are spoiled. And we're missing out on something because of that! There is such abandon in the worship of Christians in other countries. We need that! And we should be on our knees asking for forgiveness for our apathy. What more does it take?? For heaven's sake, God sent us His SON. Christ DIED so that we could live...and have life abundantly. And what do we do with it? Slap Him in the face and live in mediocrity. I'm preaching to myself here as much as anyone else. My best friend and I were talking recently about issues in the church and how Christians here in America have this misplaced sense of entitlement. Entitled to what? What we deserve is to be servants, on our knees, sacrificing and serving those lost souls around us. That's what Jesus did. That's what He came here for. That's what the Church...we...us...you...me...each of us...should be doing. Satan is so adept at getting our focus off of Jesus....so sneaky....he really does come like a thief in the night to steal, kill and destroy....TV...music....gossip....envy...the lie that doing what makes us happy is what matters! UGH! I can't stand it...and as you can see from this rather lengthy post...I'm really on fire about this right now. Our happiness doesn't matter! What we think about how church should be done doesn't matter! The answer is SO simple and we make it SO complicated. We need to put on our shield of faith....pick up the sword of God's Word (not wait on a pastor to give it to us in a form we think it's supposed to be given in)...and wield that power against Satan for the GLORY OF GOD! We need to be walking daily hand in hand with Jesus. Picking up our cross DAILY. And when we do that....really do that....we won't be able to help the abandon and passion...for the ONLY ONE that deserves it...that will well up in us and it WILL spill out onto this dying world that we live in. It is not about us! It really is all ABOUT HIM!!!!! Why can't we get that?????

Okay, I think I'm done. Sorry for the rambling! And thank you for the post! It's got me hot and bothered and mad as the dickens at the devil this morning!