Thursday, November 08, 2007

His name is Jealous

"Do not worship any other god, for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God."
Exodus 34:14

On Wed. night during our sr. high ministry, we talked about how God is jealous. Jealousy as wikipedia defines it include actions that happen when a person believes a valued relationship is being threatened by a rival.

How appropriate a definition. God gets jealous when we give our affections to someone other than Himself and He will stop at nothing to get our affection back - He is in constant pursuit of our affection.

Doesn't that blow your mind? God desperately wants what is His - WE are His. He pursues us and He longs for us to pursue Him.

There is a constant war over us for our attention and affections.

I have to tell you, lately I feel like I'm in the middle of a war zone. We are important to God and Satan wants to destroy God and take away what God deserves - to be glorified. If Satan can get our attention on things other than God, then he has succeeded in robbing God of the glory that He deserves.

Does anyone else feel this way sometimes? I rarely hear people talk about it so I have to wonder if I'm the only one that feels the battle that goes on for our affection.

We need to fight like we know that there is a battle. God is actively pursuing us and wants us to live a life that glorifies Him completely.

Lord, help me to fight each day against the plans that Satan has for me. Help me, instead, to run whole-heartedly after you, a God jealous to have my attention and affection. Keep my heart, mind and spirit safe from the deeds of the evil one and set me apart for your purposes here on earth.

1 comments:

Diana said...

Feel that way sometimes? Oh Yeah!
You are NOT alone. The past month has almost been a daily battle.

I think it is a part of the price we pay for being Christians. The closer you feel to God the more "under attack" you are going to become.

My child (one of many that I have) asked us one night after church, "When you are saved does that mean that your protected from the devil?"
We told him it was basically the opposite, the further you are from God the less the devil worries, the closer and deeper you get into the fold with God, the more the devil pursues you. Isn't it amazing that God finds value in me, a simple housewife, a mother of 4, trying to get closer to Him, and falling ever so short.

Hang in there Andie, you have already been seperated for His purposes. That's why you are feeling the enemy so heavily.
The enemy wants what God already has!!! YOU