In keeping with the birthday tradition, here is Morgan's birthday story.
Six years ago, today, our first child, Morgan, was due. Out of all three of our children, Morgan was the only one that we "planned" (the others were more of welcome surprises). We had only been married about 6-7 months when we decided we wanted to have a baby - not long, I know. I went online and found an ovulation predictor that showed when would be the best time to get pregnant based on information it asked. It told me and said if I got pregnant when i would be due. I expected it to take a little while to get pregnant but 2 weeks after deciding we wanted a baby I found out I was pregnant! I was shocked!
Fast forward to my due date, October 27, 2001. It fell on a Saturday six years ago, just like today. I went to a craft fair with my friend, Dina, and was just feeling blah. I was tired of being pregnant and I was in no mood to walk around looking at stuff. I knew that if I didn't have this baby by Monday that I would be induced because of blood pressure problems. I can't remember if I already had Castor oil in the cabinet or if I went out to buy it that day. At any rate, I took it around 2 pm and waited. I thought nothing was happening and went about my day. Later that evening Eric was taking a nap in our room and I was sitting on our bed watching Maternity Ward, getting ready for my favorite show at the time, Trading Spaces to start. All of a sudden I felt and heard a loud pop. It was the strangest feeling. I laid there for a second wondering what that was and then got up and ran to the bathroom. I was able to make it all the way to the restroom before my water broke. That was probably one of the most surreal moments of my life. It's not like I didn't know what was going to happen, I was pregnant and I knew I couldn't stay that way forever but my water breaking made me stop and think, "Wow, this is really happening."
We call the hospital and the lady gives me the "Oh honey" speech and treated me like I was ignorant and didn't really think my water had broken. We decided to go in anyways. Before we even got to the car I started having contractions 3-4 minutes apart. They didn't hurt very bad, just a bit uncomfortable. We got the hospital and was found to be 4 cms. dilated. I got the IV, the thing that scared me the most, and hung out in the hospital waiting for things to happen. At that time I had been talking about going drug-free in labor and told Eric to make sure I really wanted meds before letting me. Several hours later I was ready to say the heck with natural labor and asked for the epidural. Eric asked me if I really wanted one or if that was just the pain talking. My thoughts (not sure if I said it but I sure thought it) was "the pain is going to start 'talking' to you if you don't get me the darn epidural." The epidural man was my new best friend!
Funny thing about my labor. This was the day that you set the clocks back for the fall and I was so irritated at the nurse when she came in, stepped up on the back of my bed, and moved the clock back an hour. I had worked hard for that hour - I wanted it back!
I got to 10 cms. pretty quickly but Morgan was still pretty high up. The dr. let me labor without pushing for 3 hours and the contractions brought her down. I started to push at 3:00 am and at 3:37 am my little girl was born. She was 8 lbs 5 oz and 21 inches long. We laugh about this now but M did NOT want out and she spent the entire first hour of her life screaming her head off!
So, here we are, 6 years later. Where has the time gone?
I'm trying to upload some pics but for some reason blogger is being a pain, check back later.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY MORGAN!
Can't get the pics to work but you can click on the links.
On the way to the hospital - after water broke.
Pre-epidural - OUCH!
Minutes old.
Morgan, 2 weeks old.
Morgan, 6 years old.
Sunday, October 28, 2007
Morgan is SIX!
Posted by Andie at 2:47 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Happy Birthday Morgan!
Happy Birthday Morgan!! Can't wait to hear how you react to getting your big surprise next week! I'm jealous that you only had to push 30 minutes Andie. Lets pray that I can cut 2 hours off of my delivery this time. :)
Happy belated birthday to Morgan.
She is so pretty, which I know you must hear all the time and it never gets old :)
She looks alot like you except her hair color and her skin tone.
On a side note, Thank you Andie for being so thoughtful and caring to me. I know it may seem odd that other readers don't know why I wrote this paragraph to you and that is ok. It's amazing what God can do when you are looking for help, and he places people right in front of you.
Thank You
Awhh I love hearing those stories!! happy birthday Morgan!!
Post a Comment