Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Testimony - You've got one.

When I first became a Christian I heard many people, mainly those that had grown up in the church, say that I had a great testimony and that they wished that one like that. It really bugged me then and it bugs me now. Why? Because as Christians we ALL have a testimony and each testimony is equally as powerful, vital and necessary to share with others. We have all been saved from he same hell.

I just received the July newsletter from The Voice of the Martyrs and it was all about the importance of testimonies. As as former employee of VOM, I remember so many times being floored, humbled, challenged, and sometimes saddened by the testimonies that I heard. These Christians are truly on the front lines, choosing literally between life & death by the choice they make to follow after Christ.

Some thoughts I thought I'd highlight from the July 2007 feature article in the VOM newsletter written by Tom White, Executive Director:

"Testimony may be the most underused force in Western Christianity today. As I travel to hostile nations, I am struck each time by the power of a testimony."

"Do we dare claim, sitting in our office, or home or school, 'Jesus, I realize from observation that I may be Your only living presence in this room. I will open my mouth somewhere today and let you speak. Help me."

"In the Muslim, Hindu and communist worlds, many are powerfully touched reading about the merciful Jesus in the New Testament, but most of those in extremely hostile villages can barely read. When they witness the joy of the Christian and hear the testimony of changed lives, many come to Christ. My pastor, Joe Colaw (also my former pastor), has described how the highly-educ ted, post-modern, skeptical world may not accept a Bible verse as truth, but is willing to listen to a personal account of what God has done in a life. Testimony opens the door for the gospel.

Is there some connection here? If it is our Christian testimony which can hold the most highly-educated skeptic and also touch the illiterate, why is testimony, whether inside or outside of church, sometimes treated as an abandoned orphan or a less worthy instrument than a Sunday school lesson, a sermon or singing in the choir? Because the devil wins when we keep our mouth shut."

1 Peter 3:15-17:

but in your hearts regard Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect, having a good conscience, so that, when you are slandered, those who revile your good behavior in Christ may be put to shame. For it is better to suffer for doing good, if that should be God's will, than for doing evil.

0 comments: