I had a truly uncomfortable experience today that just got more uncomfortable when I went to church this evening.
I went with my friend, Ashley, to McDonald's today to let the kids play together and well, the lady at the register was very unfriendly. When I ordered my initial meal she made a couple of comments & faces when I was trying to order something because she put it into her register incorrectly. I didn't get exactly what I wanted but honestly, she seemed to be in a pretty sour mood and I didn't feel like getting into it with her.
Fast forward.
The kids are done with their meals and asked for ice cream so I obliged. I went back up to the register and she was still there and still in just as sour a mood. I wanted to order kid's size ice cream cones. Now, I didn't realize that they had tiny little cones, I thought that a kid's size ice cream was a regular cone but half the amount of ice cream on it. That is what I've gotten every time I've ever ordered it at every other McD's. When another lady started to get out the tiny cones, I asked if that was what I ordered and basically said that it wasn't what I wanted or thought I was ordering. I wasn't rude & I wasn't mean. She, however, responded VERY, VERY rudely and basically gave me tremendous attitude.
At that point I was NOT happy and decided that the ice cream cones weren't worth the hassle and commented as such and walked off. A manager was standing right there during the entire transaction.
Now, I was a bit hot about it and came back in the play area and spouted off a little bit. Probably should have controlled my tongue a bit around my kids (didn't say any cuss words, just expressing my frustration a bit strongly).
A few minutes later I asked to speak with the manager and she told me that she was sorry and that this particular employee had been involved in SEVERAL altercations with co-workers and with customers and that my little interaction with her was the third today and she told her to clock out & go home. I don't believe she was fired, just sent home for the day.
I thought that was the end of it.
Fast forward again to tonight. Morgan was singing in church and I take her in along with the rest of my family. As I was leaving the front area a lady says "Hi! Do you remember me? From today?" in a very "cheerful" voice. Condescendingly cheerful, not genuinely cheerful. It was then that I realized that I had seen this lady before EVERY WED NIGHT IN CHURCH. All I could say at that point was "Yeah - I do" and walk off.
So now, every time I'm in church on Wed. night and see her I will feel awkward. I probably should apologize for being a bit rude in how I walked off but honestly, it's hard to think of doing that when I feel that she was SO far over the line in how she treated me (and apparently others). With her fake cheerful tone it felt like she was saying "And you say you're a Christian" and quite truthfully that's exactly what I was thinking about her.
So - if you were me, what would you do? Should I ignore it and hope it ends there (she initiated conversation with me, I don't know if she'd do it again)? Should I apologize for my inappropriate response to her? If I do apologize, should I comment on how I felt when she treated me as she did? Am I dumb for even thinking about this further?
Oh & not that it probably matters but she is about 20 years my senior.
Wednesday, May 16, 2007
What would you do?
Posted by Andie at 7:01 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Andie...
If I was feeling conviction about how I acted or what I said, then I would apoligize. I would not mention her part, because conviction from God is stronger than any reminders of her actions.
Maybe your action of love is what she is needing. I always go back to that email (sure it is not true-but makes a great point), of the man and woman driving slowly and not paying attention to the light turning. Someone jumps out to explain to them that if they can't drive better, maybe they should stay home. The story goes on to say they are on their way to their childs funeral and they were sorry that they were not focused on driving.
Maybe she is going through something and maybe God is going to use you to show his love to her.
This might turn into a huge blessing for you and her.
Cindy
Andie, I think what you're feeling is normal. I would feel the same way. You will see her again. I would just say something like "I'm sorry we got off on the wrong foot over at the restaurant. I hope that it's in the past and we can get along in the future". I wouldn't apologize, because you weren't wrong. But I wouldn't expect an apology because I'm guessing she doesn't think she was wrong either. Who knows how her morning started out and what's going on in her life? But I would approach her so that you're not left with a feeling like you have right now. Approaching is hard in itself, but you have a certain way about you, and I think that it would work out.
You are probably in a better frame of mind, now that the event is over, to respond in an appropriate manner. In the moment I'm not sure how I would actually respond, but I'm sure what would be going through my head would not be very nice. You seem to handle things well, so I'm sure you will this too!
Post a Comment