Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Never thought I'd say this

I'm thankful for my insurance company!!! Dental insurance, that is. It's usually so much easier to gripe about insurance companies, I know I've had my fair share of gripes, but this time I'm kind of happy with them.

I went to the dentist this morning because I needed to get a crown on a back molar that I lost a filling from 3 weeks ago. After doing some work (basically whittling down my tooth to NOTHING), the dentist told me that I needed to be referred to an Endodontist for a root canal. The dr. they normally refer to was supposed to be really good and would probably be able to get me in today or tomorrow. Well, that didn't happen. I guess all the drs. in that practice were in PA for some kind of dental conference. Ughh. I sure didn't want to wait 10+ days to go get this root canal done as I imagine I'd be in some pain.

I started calling around and I called all the drs. that were in-network but none could get me in. I called another dr. and they could get me in tomorrow but they were out-of-network. Ughhh.

I called my insurance company, explained the situation, and they approved a one-time visit with this out-of-network dentist without any problem!!!! WOOHOO! I'm so used to having to fight with insurance companies for things that I was pleasantly suprised when they didn't give me any fight on this.

So - tomorrow I get to go have a root canal! YUCK. Good thing that dental work is the one thing that truly doesn't bother me that much. I guess it's from all those years growing up with a variety of orthodontic appliances in my mouth.

Glad I didn't have to wait 2 weeks as the numbing medication is wearing off and this thing HURTS.

OH & the dentist that I went to was great - Dr. Alissandratos. I wasn't overly impressed the first time I went there, I have to be honest, but today his staff was very friendly and he was very nice as well. I got to hear first hand how they interact with children and I am impressed and confident that they will do a great job with my kiddos.

0 comments: