Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Child-like

Lots of thoughts running around in this over-active mind of mine but I think I'll just focus on one.

I've been reading in the Gospel of Mark this week and this verse jumped off the page at me.


Mark 10:14-16 (New International Version)


14When Jesus saw this, he was indignant. He said to them, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. 15I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it." 16And he took the children in his arms, put his hands on them and blessed them.


I've heard this verse numerous times since becoming a Christian but it has never had quite the meaning to me as it does now that I have my own children. Things are so simple, so black & white for them. You either believe in Jesus or you don't. They don't get caught up in the debates that many "enlightened" adults get into - they just believe.

Morgan asked Jesus into her heart last year, the Wednesday night before Easter. It was during her preschool time. We talked about how Jesus came and died for our sins. We talked about what a sin was, what Jesus did specifically and how we can get to heaven (we had been talking about this for a while at home too). When we got done talking about what Easter was about and what Jesus did for them, we asked the children if they would like to pray and ask Jesus to forgive them of their sins and ask Him to come into their heart. Morgan and 5 other kids raised their hands. We talked to each one to make sure they understood what they were doing and I remember Morgan looking at me like - "Duh - Mom, I know what I'm doing - I get it." It was SO SIMPLE.

It should be that simple for all of us - young & old. Jesus did all the hard work for us to have a place in heaven - HE DIED FOR US - all we have to do is ACCEPT IT. Isn't that easy?


I could go on & on with examples and I'm sure that those of you who are parents can probably add a few yourself.

God tells us that we need to receive the Kingdom like a child. It's so simple yet we make it seem so complex.

Thank you Jesus for my children and all the new things that you teach me about YOU through them.

0 comments: