Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Mary-tha

Tonight at church we were back in men's & women's groups. We typically do that all but one Wed. out of the month but it had been a while since we were in those groups b/c of Spring Break & Easter.

We talked about the story of Mary & Martha. Quick recap: Jesus was coming to Martha & Mary's house and Martha was busy doing the household things (cooking, cleaning, etc - all the stuff you do when you have guests in your home) and Mary was sitting at the feet of Jesus. Martha got frustrated and talked to Jesus about it asking Him to have Mary help her. Jesus and basically commented to her that she needed to find balance & prioritize things in the midst of her many worries.

Amy then had us split into groups - those like Mary on one side, those like Martha on the other.

The "Martha's" outnumbered the "Mary's" by a lot. Not really suprising I guess.

I struggled to know where I fit. If I look at the story objectively and really look at myself, I guess I said I was more like Mary but so many of the Martha traits fit me as well. "Martha's" are more detail oriented, leaders, take-care-of-you type. They tend to be perfectionists and want things to be just so. Mary's are not like that.

Honestly, I think I'm a combination of both. I said "Mary" simply because I couldn't sit on the floor in the middle. I do tend to be a leader and I can plan with the best of them, I just lack the follow-thru at times. I'd like things to be "just so" but I struggle as it doesn't come naturally to me.

So, there you have it, I am a Mary-tha!

1 comments:

lauraknight said...

Andie,
I was having some of the same thoughts as I left church Wed. night to retrieve the contact from my eye.

I definitely have some of both Mary and Martha in me and if there had been a place to sit in the middle that's where I would have been. What did ya'll do after getting into groups?