I knew things had been going to good. After some struggles with Drew, my strong-willed but tender-hearted middle child, I felt like things were going good with us. Drew enjoys pushing my buttons and doing things wrong deliberately to see how far he can push me. We've really been trying to "tighten the screws" on him to encourage him to obey. Things have been going SO WELL - until today.
Eric's father was in town today on a tour and had a few hours free that we could spend with him. We had to go to Opry Mills as that was close to where he needed to be when the tour resumed. We decided on Chili's for lunch and then had planned to walk around the mall for a little bit. Each of the kids had gotten some money for Christmas and they wanted to go to the Disney store to pick out something. I told them during lunch that they had to be good and obey all through lunch to get to go to the store. Well, Drew really struggled and ended up losing his toy.
That didn't go over too well and he started to throw a temper tantrum. I should have just cut it off right then and left (like I had warned I would) but I didn't. I felt bad leaving Ralph early and Morgan was upset at the thought of not getting to spend time with Grandpa. So, against my better judgement, we started walking through the food court. We didn't make it far when I had to take Drew to the bathroom for a little chat. Again I reiterated that he wasn't getting a toy and why and then we left the bathroom. We got a little farther into the mall when he throws another fit. I was at the counter at Radio Shack returning something and he comes up begging for a toy. When I once again told him "no", he proceeded to throw a big fit. This time I did tell him we were leaving and then it all broke loose.
Here's a mental picture for you. I had to pick him up while he was kicking, screaming, punching, biting, grabbing, etc. at me the entire walk out -it wasn't a short walk either - right through the heart of the food court during lunch. He's a big kid and my back has been hurting so it was killing me to have to carry him so far. OH MY GOODNESS. What the heck???? (Ashley, Becca & Tammy - this was 10x's worse than the fit he through at Christ Church).
We get to the car and it was a huge struggle to get him buckled. Once I did, Morgan went on the bus with Grandpa and I closed the doors to the van and just stood outside, smiling at strangers who were giving me the pity look because they could hear him screaming from outside the van.
As mad as I was, and I was LIVID, I did wait until we got home and we'd both calmed down before talking to him and giving him a spanking. That's something because honestly, I wanted to beat that child in the middle of his temper tantrum.
The moral of the story - never let your guard down, even if you think that they've "got it", they are always testing you and FOLLOW THROUGH the first time you warn with something.
Wednesday, December 12, 2007
Opry Mills Shoppers - my apologies
Posted by Andie at 10:23 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I can't even imagine what you had to deal with yesterday. Hope that you have a better day today since you will get a break from him.
Way to go Girl!! I KNOW every battle you wrote about there! God will be glorified as you "train your child in the way he should go so that when he is older he will not turn from it." (Clinging to that promise myself). ;) hang in there! :)
~K~
Post a Comment