Tuesday, March 11, 2008

The Quest

I promise to upload some pics from the girl's weekend out that we had this past weekend with ladies in our small group but, in the meantime, I just couldn't help sharing our latest experience.

We have been looking for a new van for several weeks. After much research, we decided that a Nissan Quest was the van that we wanted and set about trying to find the best deal possible. We got our financing in order and were ready to go.

I got back from Girl's Weekend and Eric showed me an ad from a Nissan dealership about 40 miles away. It was one heck of a deal on a 2008 Quest. Up until this point we weren't even considering a new van as they were well above our price range but this deal was too good (no need to give financial specifics - you understand, I'm sure).

On Monday morning I called this dealership and inquired about the vans in the offer. I was told that one of the two vans was available. Eric arranged to go visit the dealership during his lunch hour (for him it was a 20 mile trip one way). Upon arriving he was told that the van had just sold. Later he got a call that the financing had fallen through on that van. I arranged for a babysitter and we went up to the dealership.

You would think this would have been an easy transaction. We knew we wanted the van, we had our financing lined up, checks in hand, etc. It should have taken an hour, tops.

NOPE.

Three and a half hours later, we emerged from what Eric termed as "The Worst Consumer Experience Ever" with a new van and a huge mountain of frustration with a dealership who did not train it's employees in the finer points of proper customer service (it's a long story, believe me).

My normally even-tempered husband was so ticked off that he sat down and wrote a LONG, involved email to the GM of this dealership, Financial Manager of this dealership, and several executives at Nissan USA.

If you know Eric then you know that this is very unusual for him. He tends to look past poor customer service and move on. Rarely in our married life have I seen him upset enough to say something about it. This was a huge deal and honestly, after thinking back over the night, I don't know why we didn't just take our money and walk out.

So - the "Quest" to find our Quest was a bit frustrating but I am LOVING the new van and am so thankful for a new vehicle with more room.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

Sorry, it was such a bad experience, but so glad you got your new van!!! I hate buying vehicles!!

Kelly said...

I was once called an "irrate customer" right in front of my face by a receptionist at a car dealership. It's terrible that they have to be so rude. By the way-- I was not irrate. I just spoke very calmly in a non-threatening tone & tod the girl that if she couldn't fix my problem, she needed to find someone who could, because otherwise I wasn't leaving. I sware I did not raise my voice :0) She found someone to help me.