Thursday, July 19, 2007

"Required" service

EDITED TO SAY: I really, really hope I haven't offended anyone with this post, that wasn't my intention. I just wanted to get my personal thoughts out on this subject.

Before I get to what is on my mind, I want to preface this by saying that I think our preschool ministry at church is FANTASTIC. The leaders do a tremendous job with our kiddos and I'm so thankful to have a church where the leadership really believes in investing in the lives of the kids.

That said, there is one thing that I have a big problem with - being required to serve. I know from past experience at my previous church that it is VERY hard to get volunteers, especially in preschool/nursery ministries. It can be very frustrating. It is also frustrating when you are one of the few that do volunteer and you see so many people who *could* be awesome in service if they'd only give up a little of their time and do so. I get it & can sympathize with it.

What I do not like, however, is being told that I'm expected to "serve" in an area simply because I am utilizing it. That's not "service". Service should come from the heart and it should be something that you want to do, not something that you're expected to do or have to do.

I got a card in the mail today telling me that our date for service in the preschool ministry is THIS Sunday. Forget that it is THURSDAY, just 3-4 days before we're supposed to "help". If we can't come, we're supposed to find someone else to take our place. If for some reason we couldn't help, that didn't give us much time to do that.

Let me be frank - I am a stay-at-home-mom to THREE preschoolers -I love them dearly, but I need a break from that age group and honestly I do NOT want to work in the preschool area. (I posted about this in a previous post that you can find here.) I don't want to feel like I can't utilize the services of our preschool ministry (or any ministry in our church) if I'm not also serving in that area. I shouldn't have to feel like that.

Do I think that I have a responsibility to serve in my local church - ABSOLUTELY. I think that ALL believers should be serving in their church and I think there is no more important area than with the children (of all ages). Am I serving in the church? Am I practicing what I preach? YES. I am serving in our church. I helped with VBS and I am going to be a small group leader with our high school ministry.

I chose to serve based on where I thought God wanted me to be, not based on where I was expected or required to be. That's what service is - CHOOSING to honor God with the gifts that He's given you in the area that He determines for you.

What are we going to do?

We are going to serve in the preschool ministry on Sunday as we have been requested to. We are going to do it cheerfully and love on those kids because that's what's important. Don't think I'll have a bad attitude about it just because I don't agree with the reason we are there.

1 comments:

Becca said...

I'm sure you haven't offended anyone. I have similar feelings, and even received that card before. I did tell "those in charge" that we were not able to serve because of where we already serve, specifically on Sunday mornings. I don't think you are "required" to serve because you get a postcard or because you have kids being served in that area. I agree that we should all serve in some area, that fits us. If we aren't serving, maybe a postcard is a good reminder that we need to be serving, but not an obligation.