Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.
James 1:2-4
Pure JOY WHEN you face trials of MANY kinds?? What???? Really??
This was the key passage used in the talk that was given tonight at Crave (high school youth group). One thing that was noted (that I don't think I've ever caught before) was that this verse doesn't say "if" you face trails but "when". See the difference? There isn't a question about whether we are going to face trials, it's a matter of when.
Can I just be honest and say that I don't want to face trials, I'm afraid of them actually. I spend a lot of time obsessing over what possible trials are out there. My biggest fears revolve around one of the following three things:
1. That I will get cancer and die (or just get cancer).
2. That one of my kids will get really sick and/or die (not necessarily of sickness, just die).
3. That my husband will get sick and/or die (same as above).
Seems kind of silly to worry about things I have no control over, but I do. I sit here on my computer and read blogs of women, young moms, battling cancer and wonder why not me. I hear stories about children who die well before their time and wonder why not my children. I don't deserve for things to be going so well, I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop.
My fears have kept me, at times, from running after Christ with complete abandon. Why? Because everyone I see that does faces some earth shattering trial. What might God require of me if I run after Him the same way?
Then there is the other side of things. I have a good friend who is really going through it right now. Her response through some of it is that she once prayed that God would do whatever He needed to do to bring her closer to Him. In the past several years she had gotten relaxed in her faith and now things have turned upside down in her life. It has served to draw her closer to God.
The flip side of my fear is that if I don't run after Christ with complete abandon then what might God do to get my attention.
It's no fun to live in fear, I have to tell you. I ask myself if there is a "safe" zone somewhere in the middle - why can't I just "live" there?
I'll tell you why, I don't want to live a mediocre Christian life. I don't want to live in fear every day of what "might" be.
The verse says that we should consider it pure joy WHEN we face trials because trials produce/encourage perseverance and perseverance is a REQUIREMENT of a mature faith. I don't want to lack anything in my faith. What a waste of life and faith to be lacking in something that God wants to give us.
Jesus, please forgive me for failing to run after you like I should out of fear of what might come my way. Please help me to trust that You have a plan for my life and that you are faithful to lead & guide me. Help me to trust that you won't give me anything beyond what I can bear. I don't want to lack anything that You have for me.

3 comments:
Dear Andie,
Phil 4:6-7. Claim this verse. Don't be anxious, but thank God in everything and He will give you the peace of Christ that passes all understanding. I know how you feel, because I get anxious about the same things. Love, Ruth
Hey Andie,
It's funny that Ruth mentions that verse. It was the exact verses that came to my mind while reading your post. I've claimed that promise more times than I can count now. It's one of my life verses. If we are always thanking Him, it kind of pushes out of our minds the fear, centers our attention on how BIG He is and, voila, there's that peace He said would come.
If we are honest, I think we all face these questions and fears. And I believe God is faithful to grow us and stretch us in those times as we seek Him out. How many times did God say do not be afraid for I am there with you? That's another promise that I hold onto just about all the time these days. He knew we would be afraid of stuff, so He saw fit to remind us over and over again in Scripture that we don't have to be because He's right there, too. You just gotta love Him, don't you????
I love that verse and refer to it often. Thanks for the reminder. :)
Post a Comment