I was working on my study for Community Bible Study this week and came across some verses that I just LOVE.
Be shepherds of God's flock that is under your care, serving as overseers - not because you must, but because you are willing, as God wants you to be; not greedy for money, but eager to serve; no lording it over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock. 1 Peter 5:2-3
I think that this was one of the toughest lessons that I've learned over the past several years. Before moving to TN I had a pretty frustrating experience while volunteering in the church. I "served" in a particular area of ministry, not because I wanted to, but because I was expected to. I did it "because I must" and believe me, I was anything but willing. Not only did it cost me but ultimately it cost the Lord.
It cost me because I felt used and abused as a volunteer. I came to resent this particular area of ministry and vowed to never, ever serve there again. In fact, when we moved to TN and started attending Lifepoint, I chose not to serve for a while because I just needed to stop and partake, without the expectations of serving. There were a few times that I was asked to serve in a similar capacity and believe me, I didn't do it out of a willingness to serve at all. How wrong was I?
It cost the Lord because I was not serving Him whole-heartedly and therefore could not completely and adequately share His gospel. He served everyone with His whole heart, committing himself, even unto death, for us and it bugged me to give an hour on a Sunday morning.
When I did start serving again, I did so in a ministry that I never ever thought I would be any good in. God really spoke to me one Sunday morning when our High School minister spoke during service and called us to do something that makes us uncomfortable. Well, working in High School is about as uncomfortable as I could get, believe me.
I LOVE IT.
God has taught me so much about Him through our group of 10th grade girls (I co-lead with my friend Megan).
I can now say that I am serving as shepherd to those under my care WILLINGLY and EAGERLY - it makes all the difference in the world. Please don't misunderstand me here, I am not trying to sound prideful or like I have it all together, I don't - far from it. What I'm trying to share is that it makes a HUGE difference the heart with which you serve, for you & those you are serving.
Here's what I've learned over the past several years:
1. Ask God where He wants you to serve and then DO IT.
2. Don't serve out of a sense of duty or because you think it's expected of you in a particular area.
3. Say "no" when you are asked to serve in an area that God hasn't called you & don't feel guilty about it.
4. Realize that it's not easy to serve, even when you are where God wants you.
5. Be EAGER to serve.
6. Realize that when you volunteer in the church (or anywhere) you CHOOSE to put yourself under the authority of the pastors/church and you are going to be held to a high standard. God expects us to be examples and He has put those people in a position of leadership over us to help us in that endeavor. Don't be resentful of it, take advantage of it.
7. SPEND TIME WITH GOD - you can't pour into the lives of others unless you are letting God pour into YOUR life.
So, there you have it, a few things on my mind tonight that I thought I'd share with you.

2 comments:
well said....
Thanks so much for your thoughts, Andie! I so appreciate what you and Megan do with your girls. You are great at what you do and I'm thankful everyday for volunteers like you. I may have to use your thoughts for a training session, or get you to share a testimony or something... it's so good. :-)
Post a Comment