Before I get to what I want to talk about, please know that while I did not vote for Obama, the purpose of this post is not a pity party, dread the next 4 years rant. Am I disappointed with the results? Sure, lots of people are but that's okay. The beauty of the American system is that the people, all the people, get a chance to make their voice heard and elect the person they want to represent them. Someone is not going to be happy in that as there will be a winner and there will be losers, it's the way it is. I am glad that we have the freedom to choose our leaders, it's part of what makes the US great.
That said, I have had one main frustration over the past several weeks. When I've asked (or seen others ask) someone why they are voting for Obama I consistently have gotten (or heard) the following responses:
1. Race
2. He's an eloquent speaker.
3. He appears very presidential (seriously - this was a reason)
4. He's very charismatic
Did we really elect a president because he could speak well and looks like a President? I'm hoping not.
So.... Obama supporters, I seriously want to know why you voted for him. What were the issues that you supported him on? Why did you think he would make a good president beyond the responses above?
I'm not asking to give you a hard time nor do I want anyone who did not vote for Obama to reply as this is not a debate. I sincerely want to know what it was that made you vote for him.
Wednesday, November 05, 2008
Why Barack Obama?
Posted by Andie at 10:06 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Andie, though I didn't vote, since I'm not a US citizen, I can only give you my opinion.
1- Obama placed himself above race- hence he's a smart person.
2- McCain represented more of the Bush's much reviled violence against everybody who didn't agree...
3- Obama surrounded himself with people way above Joe-the-Plumber, say as Warren Buffet, the Investor. In other words, by surrounding himself with brilliant people, he will be better prepared to tackle current US economic problems.
4- He showed relentless execution on a campaign he was a very unlikely canditate. Therefore, he showed determination, methodicity, substance.
5- He appealed to all US people, the rich, the middle class, the poor, the white, the black, the whatever-colour-you-like, the whatever-faith-you-need. In the end, all people want to have their basic need met: their future economical wellbeing.
This is what I can say from afar, and I think that the US people has voted for a very strong human being, far above the sleazy campaign that McCain fared.
I hope that, while not relevant, as I'm not a US-citizen, my opinion at least has cast some light on your questions.
As someone who did not vote for Obama related to his POLICY, and I read both their proposals from their web sites, not the media's twist on it....Obama, while I hope he succeeds and makes America strong again, has not appealed to all. He lost my respect when he absolutely is now targeting the middle class by changing his tax proposals. In the middle of the campaign, to say you are increasing taxes on those who make $250k now to $150k annually affects a HUGE %age of people and personally, I don't want to pay for people who simply can go out and get a job. I donate a lot of money to different charities, missions, etc but that is MY choice to do so. I really hope he does not do certain things economically as he has stated because there will be a lot of unhappy Americans!
Sorry to have jijacked the blog Andie....but Bush did not create all of the economic problems, wall street and greed did.
I did not vote Obama either and honestly agree with YOU Andie as to why a lot of people did. I feel people are so unhappy with the economy (and they feel that our current president is the ONE and ONLY who created the problem - which is NOT TOO - this is at least 16 years and some of Clintons work that created this mess) that they want anything that is different. Different is better. I think if people really looked at what he is proposing they would see that it's not good. Universial Health Care -- you cannot have ONE health care for ALL class of people. I talk with many from Canada and England - don't hear many good things from it there. As the person stated above his tax cut plan changed DRASTICALLY towards the end and I can't say if people didn't pay attention or just didn't care? I know if it's families who make $150K -- that's a LOT of people (middle class)that won't be getting it? Not to mention where is that money to fund that coming from? So if my family makes more than $150K I'll be funding it? See he wants to help those people that don't go out and WORK -- though I agree there are people that need help that are trying but man there are a lot of people out there that don't deserve ME paying higher taxes so they can get the tax break! Military -- well Clinton cut defense spending, cut the Intelligence and what happened after his rein - 9/11 --- people may not like WAR but BUSH has kept us safe and IF Obama cuts all these things (which he's state he would do by at least 25%) then aren't we setting ourselves up for failure? Not to mention WHY is it so many countries were excited for Obama to get into office? Some may say b/c they know he can be a world leader --- HELLO are we that naive? Perhaps they are excited b/c they know defense spending will be cut and will make us more suseptible to attacks? Right? At the end of the day I believe people were desperate for change -- and the grass isn't always greener on the other side. Though I'm not thrilled with him winning I do hope he can do some positive changes. He has the house and senate so there are NO EXCUSES!!!
As you know, I didn't vote for Obama either. I really don't think a lot of people knew who they were voting for. It is not a popularity contest and I fear that is how many people voted.
The thing about him that bothers me the most, is the fact he is SO liberal. I know he is going to do as much damage as he can to family values. Abortion, international child act, same sex marriage, and homeschooling laws.
All I can do is pray!. When I start to think about it, it makes me so mad that people who call themselves Christians voted for this man.
I could go on for days, so I will end now! :)
I'm not an Obama voter either, but there is one thing I think he brings to the table that is a huge benefit right now: he has international experience. Not in the sense of international relations or negotiation, but in the sense that he has lived in other countries.
The U.S. is not the center of the known universe, but our leaders tend to act like it is. This is one of the negative characteristics of the current administration, and it is one reason that many in the world don't like the U.S. right now. I believe that Obama may be in a position to help heal some of those relationships, and I think that could be a very good thing.
I've been looking for election silver linings, and this is one I've come up with. Of course, I may be a bit biased 'cause I used to live in another country too.
Post a Comment