Our kids, minus Owen, are at the age where they can participate in organized sports. I'm glad for the opportunity for them to do a team sport, I truly am, but I have to tell you, I'm a little over-whelmed by the level of commitment and time involved at such a young age.
Why is it necessary for a 4 year old (playing on a 5/6 year old baseball team b/c of his birthday) to have 2-3 games a week with 2 practices (unless they fall on game days)? Does that seem a bit much to you? It does to me. I can see one or two practices with one game on Saturday but 2-3 games per week?
Drew really wants to play football when he's old enough but from what I understand they have 3-4 practices a week that are 2 hours long plus they have to travel around the area for games.
When I was a kid, it wasn't like that, at least as I remember it. I just don't get it. Why is it necessary to be so hard-core with little kids? I fear letting Drew do all the athletics he wants now and decide he is tired of it later.
I heard about a young man from the area that was a very promising athlete and was on his way to a college scholarship in his chosen sport. Well, he quit in his junior year because he was burnt out, he had been playing since Kindergarten.
So, as a parent how do you balance your child's desire to participate in sports without getting sucked into the craziness that seems to be starting at such a young age?
What are your thoughts on this?
Wednesday, September 10, 2008
Sports Fanatic
Posted by Andie at 9:46 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
100% AGREE....it's crazy. Maybe us Moms should organize a league that promotes kids staying kids and not becoming pro-player status! :)
I totally agree with you!! This is the first year John has played anything. He has never been interested in anything up until now, so we didn't push him.(He did do Smart Start baseball and indoor soccer at the Y) But, he REALLY wanted to play football last year and we conveniently missed sign ups, so there was no more holding out this year. It is a big commitment-- we practice 3 nights a week for 1.5-2 hours and have games on Saturday. We do have to "travel" for games, but not too far. But,I will say that I am so glad we did it. He is LOVING it and it has really helped his self-esteem and is great exercise for him. It also is teaching him a lot of discipline. My plan is to only let them play one sport. (Now, who knows how long that will last?!?) We are having a blast with him playing football, but can't imagine running like this all year with 2-3 different sports. Besides, i am pretty sure he was made for football!!!!
Last soccer season, both of my boys played, and Tim & I each coached one of their teams. We did this so we could choose practice times, but it was still a lot. I told the boys they could play this year, but we would not be the coaches. The declined to play :o) (I am such a bad mom sometimes.) Any sport is a big commitment. The kids have also played baseball & basketball, before. Basketball was my favorite. Climate controlled indoor court, one night a week practice, and games on Saturday. I agree w/the 1 sport @ a time rule. I also have a rule--if you strat you must finish the season. You never have to play again, if you don't want--but you have to finish the season.
We have been blessed that our kids are not real "sporty". Sean and Joel were into marching band in HS and Hannah has done one season of volleyball in 4th grade. They all played soccer when the were really young, but it was one practice a week and one game on Saturdays. I guess that I would limit it to one sport at a time. It doesn't sound like you're going to be really pushy about them doing it. You have to set your priorities. One girl that I know was involved in Girl Scouts, swim team, gymnastics and girls choir. Now that's an overbooked child! Don't forget to pray for wisdom in this matter!
Girl! You aren't kidding. Sarah is on the school soccer team this year, and it has been 4 nights a week (and of course, church on Wednesdays) so during the workweek, none of us get home until 7:00 or after - and all related to soccer.
Hats off to those of you running multiple little ones to multiple practices. One "sporty" child has been enough for me to keep up with.
::heavy sigh::
Post a Comment