Tuesday, September 16, 2008

My biggest pet peeve

Okay, I'm sure you don't really care to hear about one of my biggest pet peeves, but I'll put it out there anyway.

Tonight we had the turnover meeting for our homeowner's association. Our neighborhood is now done being built and is in the hands of a homeowner board with the assistance of a management company. There are about 130 homes in our neighborhood therefore 130 possible votes out there. How many people came to the meeting??? If you count one homeowner per house (married couples only count as 1) then probably 30-40. That means 100 homes decided not to participate. MORE THAN HALF. I get that people are busy but I know for a fact that many people didn't go because they just didn't care to be there, not because of other commitments.

At church, school, etc. they are always looking for volunteers, they NEED volunteers to provide the services that they do, that we all enjoy, yet they are often lacking in that department. At the same time there are an abundance of people who will tell you about what is wrong and what needs fixed yet very few that are willing to step up and be part of the solution. "We need to do this" really means "someone else needs to do this."

The presidential election is the WORST. Only 40-60% of those that are of eligible voting age actually do so. WHAT????? There are people in other countries who could only dream of voting for their leaders and we sit here and choose not to exercise the freedom we have to do so?? Really? So, are only 40-60% of the people complaining about how things are going??? I don't think so.

I am a firm believer in this, if you are able to be apart of the solution and you choose not to because you just don't want to burden yourself or take precious time out of your schedule to do so, don't complain (note, I'm not talking about those that are already involved and can't over commit themselves with something new - you can't do it all, I get that).

If you don't vote you have no room to complain about what the chosen leader does or doesn't do. You had no voice in electing them and therefore, to me, you have no voice in complaining either.

So, there you have it. Agree, disagree, that's how I feel.

PS - If you choose to not vote in the election, don't tell me, I don't really want to know.

2 comments:

Lynette said...

30-40 showing up isn't too bad (based on being on a board of a HOA that had over 500 homes and being happy if 25 people showed up to any board meetings...).

I would have liked to have been there - Sarah had an away soccer game. Mom Soccer Duty will win out every time over other things when you're the single mom of the school's goal keeper...lol

Andie said...

How did Sarah do at her game?