Tuesday, February 09, 2010

The Power of an Apology

Never underestimate the power of the two little words, "I'm sorry." They can cause big change and go a long way to mending hearts. The lack of those words can sometimes cause huge rifts and broken hearts.

Apologizing hasn't always come easy for me. When I was younger I absolutely HATED to swallow my pride and apologize. It was like pulling teeth and I didn't do it nearly enough. I was right. Period. Even if I was wrong, I was "right".

Life doesn't work like this.

One things I've been very purposeful about over the past 10-15 years is to apologize when I've made a mistake or hurt someones feelings. It isn't always easy but it is necessary. I have apologized numerous times to my children when I have responded to them in a way I shouldn't or done something wrong, I think it teaches them a good lesson about life. I've apologized to my friends when I've stepped across the line and I've even apologized for things that I really didn't need to just to keep the peace.

I find it very sad when we let our selfish need to be "right" (even when we may be wrong) and our need to keep our pride in tact keep us from saying the two words that would do more to fix a situation than anything.

Many friendships are lost because of an inability to look beyond ourselves and truly care about another person enough to apologize.

The thing I hope you take away from this... don't let pride keep you from humbling yourself and apologizing when you've made a mistake. And, on the flip side, if someone apologizes to you, don't let your pride keep you from accepting the apology.

0 comments: